CarGurus Pay Pre-Requisites (Seller)
CarGurus will need to gather some preliminary information from both you and the buyer. You can go ahead and get a head start on the checkout by uploading this information beforehand! You will see four steps to be completed on the right side of your inbox:
1. Verify Car Status: If none of the following scenarios are applicable to you, simply click Next. Please note that if there is a lien on the vehicle or it has been leased, we will not be able to assist with the checkout:
2. Confirm Personal Information: Be sure the name matches the one that is on the title for the vehicle. If there is more than one name on the title, use the name that will be associated with the bank account you link. If the title is in a business's name, enter the name of the business:
3. Verify License: CarGurus requires a valid US license in order to proceed. Rest assured, this will only be shared with our partner Jumio for verification purposes. There are a few issues that could cause an upload to fail including:
- The photo is too blurry
- It is not a US license
- The license has expired
- The name on the license does not match
4. Link Bank Account:
(Note: If you are unable to find your bank, the transfer of funds will have to take place outside of CG Pay)
5. If all is in order, you will see a blue "Preview Sale" button when you return to your inbox:
These pre-requisites will be applicable to all potential transactions. That way, you won't need to re-enter this information if you choose to work with a different buyer!
Click "Preview sale" after choosing the message thread of a particular buyer to see where they are at in the process.
IMPORTANT: If you are not prompted to link a bank account after choosing "Transfer from my bank" as a payment option, it is because the transaction falls into one of the categories outlined here:
In which case, the transfer of funds will need to take place outside of the CarGurus platform.