Secure Private Party Transactions
Our goal? It's simple: to make selling your car as easy, transparent, and secure as possible.
- Verified funds. We act as an intermediary to verify and hold funds securely. This means you never expose your bank account information to an unknown party and cover all transactions with up to $75,000 in fraud protection.
- All your paperwork, done. We supply all the documents, all you need to do is sign.
- Live support from a dedicated expert. We will assign a specialist to walk you through each step, from paperwork to final payment.
- Secure online payment. We deposit your money directly into your account. No need to accept cash or check. No trips to the bank.
- Have a lien? We work directly with lenders to release the Titles and complete your transaction.
What do Secure Transactions NOT cover?
- Shipping. All shipping arrangements will have to be made by the buyer/seller and are not covered by the Secure Transaction Service.
- Undisclosed mechanical issues. If you are a buyer, we recommend always getting a pre-purchase inspection from a trusted mechanic!
- Deposits. If the seller requests a deposit, the Secure Transaction Service will not be able to assist in recouping the amount that was put down.
- Exchange of funds outside the platform. We will not be able to arbitrate between buyers and sellers when funds are exchanged outside of the secure transaction platform.
How does it work?
Secure Transactions are only $99 when you sell your Car on CarGurus and you will not be charged if you choose not to sell your car on our site!
When you accept an offer from a buyer you will see a prompt in your message thread to "Start Sale". Once you click that button, you will need to fill out a form with the following information:
- Your full contact information, including mailing address (we will need to collect this to ensure an easy title transfer later on)
- Any information you have about your buyer (e.g. their name, phone number, and email)
- Vehicle details (e.g. to confirm your listing and VIN number)
- The ownership status of your car (e.g. if you currently have a lien on your car).
A similar form will be sent out to the buyer for completion. Once we have all the necessary information from both parties in place a team member will reach out via phone to complete the transaction!