Our goal? It's simple: to make selling your car as easy, transparent, and secure as possible. CarGurus Pay is the private party digital transaction service offered by CarGurus.
- Verified funds. We act as an intermediary to verify the funds. This means you never expose your bank account information to an unknown party.
- Bill of sale. We will generate a bill of sale for both parties that will be electronically signed.
- Secure online payment. We deposit your money directly into your account. No need to accept cash or check. No trips to the bank.
(Note: Electronic payment through CarGurus Pay may not be available for all transactions. Click here to see if any of these situations applies to you)
What does CarGurus Pay NOT cover?
- Shipping. All shipping arrangements will have to be made by the buyer/seller and are not covered by CarGurus Pay.
- Undisclosed mechanical issues. If you are a buyer, we recommend always getting a pre-purchase inspection from a trusted mechanic!
- Deposits. If the seller requests a deposit, CarGurus Pay will not be able to assist in recouping the amount that was put down.
- Exchange of funds outside the platform. We will not be able to arbitrate between buyers and sellers when funds are exchanged outside of the secure transaction platform.
- Transactions on vehicles with outstanding liens. CarGurus Pay checkout services are not applicable to vehicles where the seller is not in possession of the title or has an outstanding balance with the lien holder.
- Transactions that require financing. CarGurus Pay cannot offer financing on private sales and our checkout services will not be available if the buyer has an external lender.
Click here to see some of the more commonly asked questions regarding the process.
How does it work?
CarGurus Pay is included in the $4.95 cost to list your vehicle.
When you accept an offer from a buyer you will be able to start the checkout directly from your inbox. You will then need to provide the following information:
- The ownership status of your vehicle
- Your full contact information, including mailing address
- A valid US driver's license
- Your bank information (If you plan to transfer funds through our platform)
What does it mean to have a vetted buyer?
A vetted buyer is a person who successfully uploads an ID that, using third party tools, is found to be currently valid and legitimate. When a seller completes a vehicle sale transaction using our secure funds transfer feature on CarGurus Pay, we also verify the buyer by confirming that they have the agreed upon funds available in their account.
(Note: CarGurus Pay may not be available in all states)