Our goal? It's simple: to make selling your car as easy, transparent, and secure as possible. CarGurus Pay is the private party digital transaction service offered by CarGurus in partnership with AUTOPAY.
- Verified funds. We act as an intermediary to verify and hold funds securely. This means you never expose your bank account information to an unknown party and cover all transactions with up to $75,000 in fraud protection.
- Verified title. We will verify the seller along with the title and clear it of any existing liens.
- Bill of sale. We will generate a bill of sale for both parties that will be electronically signed.
- Live support from a dedicated expert. We will assign a specialist to walk you through each step, from paperwork to final payment.
- Secure online payment. We deposit your money directly into your account. No need to accept cash or check. No trips to the bank.
- Have a lien? We work directly with lenders to release the titles and complete your transaction.
What does CarGurus Pay NOT cover?
- Shipping. All shipping arrangements will have to be made by the buyer/seller and are not covered by CarGurus Pay.
- Undisclosed mechanical issues. If you are a buyer, we recommend always getting a pre-purchase inspection from a trusted mechanic!
- Deposits. If the seller requests a deposit, CarGurus Pay will not be able to assist in recouping the amount that was put down.
- Exchange of funds outside the platform. We will not be able to arbitrate between buyers and sellers when funds are exchanged outside of the secure transaction platform.
- Transactions that require financing. CarGurus Pay cannot offer financing on private sales and our checkout services will not be available if the buyer has an external lender.
Click here to see some of the more commonly asked questions regarding the process.
How does it work?
CarGurus Pay is included in the $29.95 cost to list your vehicle.
When you accept an offer from a buyer you will see a prompt in your message thread to start the sale. You can also start the transaction and use CarGurus Pay from your My Cars for Sale page, even if you found the buyer outside of CarGurus! You will then need to fill out a form with the following information:
- Your full contact information, including mailing address (we will need to collect this to ensure an easy title transfer later on)
- Any information you have about your buyer (e.g. their name, phone number, and email)
- Vehicle details (e.g. to confirm your listing and VIN number)
- The ownership status of your car (e.g. if you currently have a lien on your car)
A similar form will be sent out to the buyer for completion. Once we have all the necessary information from both parties in place a team member will reach out via phone to complete the transaction!
What does the $75,000 in purchase protection cover?
Purchases are protected up to $75,000 or the purchase price of the vehicle, whichever is less. Transactions are covered when a party suffers a loss due to:
- the buyer not receiving a title, free and clear of existing liens, within sixty (60) days of the transaction, or
- an error that is the fault of CarGurus or Autopay (as applicable), the purchase funds were delivered to the wrong party.