Purchase Protection Program Terms & Conditions
The Purchase Protection Program ("PPP") offers protection on the purchase of eligible, privately listed vehicles when you select complete a transaction using the secure payment and online title transfer or vehicle financing service and purchase the PPP. CarGurus discourages using offline transactions and disparate payment methods, including cash, wire transfers, gift cards, etc. as non-protected methods could be associated with fraudulent transactions.
The PPP is managed by a third party service provider, AUTOPAY Direct, Inc. (the "Provider"), that is not affiliated with CarGurus, Inc ("CarGurus"). Your purchase and use of the PPP will be governed by an agreement between you and the Provider.
The PPP is only offered on the purchase of eligible privately listed vehicles. The eligibility criteria include:
- The buyer elects to complete the vehicle transaction using either the secure payment and online title transfer. If financing is acquired outside of AUTOPAY, the transaction will NOT qualify for the PPP.
- Any payment due to CarGurus or the Provider for either the secure payment and online title transfer or vehicle financing service must be paid in full within 48 hours of the vehicle purchase and sale transaction.
- Both the buyer and seller must provide the Provider with all requested documentation prior to closing.
- If requested by the Provider, the Buyer must obtain a PPP inspection conducted by an inspector approved by the Provider.
What is Covered
Eligible purchases are protected up to $75,000 or the purchase price of the vehicle, whichever is less. Transactions are covered when the buyers who has purchased the PPP pays for a vehicle but suffers a loss because:
- the buyer's funds were not received by the seller in a timely and expedient manner,
- the buyer did not receive a title, free and clear of existing liens, within sixty (60) days of the transaction, or
- the purchase funds are delivered to a party other than the owner of the vehicle.
THE PPP DOES NOT COVER USERS FOR ANY OTHER LOSSES OR CLAIMS ASSOCIATED WITH A VEHICLE PURCHASE AND SALE TRANSACTION THAT ARE NOT EXPLICITLY COVERED AND MENTIONED ABOVE. FOR THE AVOIDANCE OF DOUBT, SUCH OTHER LOSSES AND CLAIMS ARE NOT COVERED AS PART OF THE PPP. PLEASE REFER TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BETWEEN YOU AND THE PROVIDER FOR ADDITIONAL EXCLUSIONS FOR COVERAGE AND OTHER TERMS APPLICABLE TO THE PPP.